Come to Craft Hatch in 2017
Craft Hatch is Craft’s emerging makers’ showcase featuring over 30 makers including jewellers, ceramicists, textile artists, print-makers and more all retailing their handcrafted wares – many for the very first time. Fresh talent, blooming artists, new makers and debut marketeers!
The next Craft Hatch Market will be taking place on 18 March 2017. See event details here.
The next Craft Hatch Market open for applications will take place on Saturday 27 May. Apply by 3 April to be a part of the Craft Hatch program!
Interested in being part of Craft Hatch?
Craft Hatch is our emerging makers’ incubator market program.
It centres around a live market event in the city of Melbourne.
Craft Hatch was launched in November 2008 at the City Library and is Melbourne’s premier market for emerging, developing and young makers. In August 2011, the market moved to 1000 £ Bend and in 2014 sat prestigiously within the New Craft Market at Queen Victoria Market. In 2015 we returned to 1000 £ Bend where we have cultivated a positive environment and great balance of audience, stallholders, space and numbers.
With an emphasis on fledgling retail experience – the Craft Hatch program supports emerging makers in their first five years of practice, craft makers who have never had their own market stall before and those seeking retail support. In this sense, we loosely think of the Hatch program as “market school”.
The program includes mentoring and professional development guidance, and is a perfect way for makers to enter the retail scene and get a face-to-face experience with their potential customers.
Craft also offers incentives via discounted membership and public liability insurance to ease the pathway to professional retail set up.
Craft Hatch has cultivated a loyal following and significant presence in the media. Craft Hatch now takes place three times a year and has attracted approximately 500-1000 to each market.
The high level of professional display and presentation by stallholders means that from an audience perspective there is little sense that they are visiting retail novices.
Benefits of Craft Hatch include
- Opportunity to come to market under the banner of Craft
- Professional development group session and guidance
- Promotion and social media via the Craft communications team
- A “Market Ready” booklet
- Discounted membership and insurance
- Visual merchandising support and encouragement
- Discounts to our Market Ready seminars
- Market Day support – including table, chairs, power, volunteer support
Who can apply?
- Craft makers in their first five years of production
- Experienced craft makers who have little or no retail experience
- Applications are assessed by a panel at Craft, and due to the high demand we can not always offer all applicants a space
Market dates 2017
- Saturday 18th March
- Saturday 27th May
- Saturday 26th August
- Saturday 18th November
Queries – Gemma Jones email@example.com | 03 9650 7775
Image: Warisa, “Bingo Magnets”